Saturday, June 24, 2017

Quirky Giraffe, PPF and Monthly Mixed Media Challenge

Several weeks back, I started a new project. I had no plans for this project, just play around and see where it went. Starting with a scrap wood piece, 7 x 24, I gave a coat of gesso and allowed it to dry. The next layer consisted of torn papers randomly glued throughout the background. After that layer was completely dry, I took everything outside and prepared my surface for some paint spray! Using a few different stencils, I sprayed over the glued papers. 

Everything is set up and ready to spray!

Spray + stencils = fun colors and designs. (MMMC #32: Put a Stencil on It)
I looked at the sprayed version of this for several days and could not decide which direction I should take this project. Flowers? Birds? No idea?? The length and the shape of the wood worked perfectly for a giraffe's long neck. I sketched out a quirky giraffe and starting rubbing on paint for the background. It is hard to see in the picture, but there is actually quite a lot of texture in this project.  Torn papers and molding paste in various places make for some interesting textures throughout. While I didn't take any photos of the middle process, you can see the finished project below.

Outdoors photo in Abbey's Garden (more about the garden in the next post).

Completed quirky giraffe. 

If you look closely, you can see a few places where the background spray paint/stencils shows through. While my hubby thinks this is one odd piece, I think the giraffe is kinda cute. :P 
Hope you enjoy it as well!




9 comments:

  1. That giraffe is so cute.... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney, your giraffe is sweet. Such a happy, creative artwork :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Your Giraffe is absolutely so beautiful..such a sweet soul!
    Wonderful colors and energy!
    Happy PPF
    Victoria #38

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your giraffe is kinda cute too! =D Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media Monthly & sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking giraffe!! Wonderfully creative! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE your quirky whimsical amazing adorable colourful giraffe!! Great job...makes me SOOO happy!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, I appreciate your kind comments. The giraffe has actually found a home at my mom and dad's house. My mom has an "art wall" with some of the things that I have made and she would like to add it to the mix! ;P Now I just need to seal it and send it her way.

    ReplyDelete