Saturday, June 24, 2017

Quirky Giraffe, PPF and Monthly Mixed Media Challenge

Several weeks back, I started a new project. I had no plans for this project, just play around and see where it went. Starting with a scrap wood piece, 7 x 24, I gave a coat of gesso and allowed it to dry. The next layer consisted of torn papers randomly glued throughout the background. After that layer was completely dry, I took everything outside and prepared my surface for some paint spray! Using a few different stencils, I sprayed over the glued papers. 

Everything is set up and ready to spray!

Spray + stencils = fun colors and designs. (MMMC #32: Put a Stencil on It)
I looked at the sprayed version of this for several days and could not decide which direction I should take this project. Flowers? Birds? No idea?? The length and the shape of the wood worked perfectly for a giraffe's long neck. I sketched out a quirky giraffe and starting rubbing on paint for the background. It is hard to see in the picture, but there is actually quite a lot of texture in this project.  Torn papers and molding paste in various places make for some interesting textures throughout. While I didn't take any photos of the middle process, you can see the finished project below.

Outdoors photo in Abbey's Garden (more about the garden in the next post).

Completed quirky giraffe. 

If you look closely, you can see a few places where the background spray paint/stencils shows through. While my hubby thinks this is one odd piece, I think the giraffe is kinda cute. :P 
Hope you enjoy it as well!




Friday, June 2, 2017

King Edward Gets a Makeover....


Mixed Media Monthly Challenge
#ccbchallenge
PPF

I'm not sure what happened to the month of May, but it started and was over before I knew it.  There have been many things keeping us on the go with little time for what is most enjoyable...creating in the art space. Finally, I slowed down to work on some of the challenges I had been thinking about all month.

There were two challenges at Canvas Corp Brands. One of the challenges for May was "Old is the New." A few years back, my mom had given me an old cigar box. I thought it was cool and that one day I could "do something" with it. I'm glad I still have the box as it was perfect for this challenge!

Old tobacco box...King Edward needs a makeover, right?
Often, I get caught up in creating and forget to pause for photos. That happened throughout this project! (One day I will get better at this!) The box has several layers.  The first layer included various torn papers adhered with matte gel. Next, was a light coating of gold/copper acrylic paints. Transparency was a goal, as I wanted some of the elements of the box to show through the paint. After the paint was dry, I wanted to add contrast to the gold and selected Golden's teal fluid acrylics.  The stencils that I had on hand weren't quite what I was looking for, so I opted for making my own. Using a hot glue gun, I drew various flowers, leaves and other shapes onto parchment paper. When they were dry, peeling them off was easy! (*If you make these, be sure to connect the glue in all places...think "one continuous stream of glue per shape.")

Using a hot glue gun to draw shapes for unique stencils.

A few of the designs that were created...I made about two sheets of various patterns and shapes. 

The stencils are fragile, so I carefully applied a coat of acrylic paint using a foam paint brush and stamped the designs various places on the box.

Here's a finished look at the bottom of the box. Stencils were used around the sides as well.


Using matte gel, I added the final touches to the box. This included embellishments such as ribbon, a button, flowers and found objects in nature (shell, twigs, leaf). 


The finished product, front view. 

Another view of the box.

Close up, top view of box. 
I'm submitting this project to the challenge "Old is New" and to Paint Party Friday. I'm also participating in the Monthly Mixed Media Blog Challenge, "A Year of Choices...Put a Stamp on It."



#ccbchallenge