Sunday, March 26, 2017

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - March

The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge for March is....BUTTONS! There are many things that can be created with buttons, so this challenge sparked several ideas.

I've been thinking about creating my own mixed media journal for awhile now, so that's what I did! I love the idea of recycling and repurposing items, so my project started with a used file folder. The folder was trimmed to 11.5 x 7.5. Using acrylic paints, a roller, mark making tools and stencils I created a background for the journal. I actually made three background pieces before choosing one for the journal. (This step is fun, so I got carried away!) The background pictured below is one of the three... I forgot to take a picture of the one I selected to use prior to the second step.

This background is one of the three that I created for making a journal. 

After the paint was dry, I used a sewing machine and stitched a border of red thread along the edges of the folder. Folding it almost in half, leaving a flap of about 1.5 inches, the watercolor pages were added to the inside. The pages were secured by stitching down the center of the folder.  

The folded version of the journal with stitched edges, added papers and a 1.5 inch flap.
Adding the butterfly stickers, button, and ribbon were the final steps to completing the cover. 
After looking at numerous buttons, I decided on a simplistic design for the closure. The fiber ribbon wraps around the journal and the button to keep the journal closed. In addition, I added a small round closure of velcro on the inside of the cover. 

The completed journal cover. 

The inside of the journal is a work in progress. For some of the pages, I added decorative paper over the top of the watercolor paper. I may end up adding quotes or other things on these pages. Other pages will be used for mixed media creations.

The first page upon opening the journal. Decorative paper was used on the first page. 

There are endless possibilities of things that can be created inside the pages of the journal. I'm excited about starting some of those items and sharing them along the way. 






4 comments:

  1. HOW BEAUTIFUL is the button you used!!!!??!?!? Great jounal pages too! THANKS BUNCHES for playing along with the March Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynne! I'm excited about April's challenge. It looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Hi Courtney, I just wanted to pop over and say thank you for the lovely comment on my AIs and Buttons project and to congratulate you in return, lol! I had so much fun creating that project and I wasn't 100% confident at the time so I'm learning to trust my instincts. I love, love, love what you created here, the stitching is awesome xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Karen! You most definitely should trust those instincts! ;P

    ReplyDelete