Sunday, January 22, 2017

2017: Learning New Things

Learning new things always takes awhile for me, it has always been that way, even back in school. I like to take my time with new technologies, programs, texts, etc. For awhile now, I've wanted to learn Photoshop, Illustrator, and different techniques in design. I've talked about it a lot, but never put any action behind my words. In November, I signed up for a year in the Creative Cloud, which includes Photoshop and Lightroom (details here). I've been learning new things about these programs over the last few weeks. Also, several weeks ago, I signed up for a Graphic Design course (totally FREE) at Coursera*. I've completed the first two weeks, and have started working on week three assignments.  While working on the first assignment, I downloaded a free trial of Illustrator (which I LOVE), but it is only good for seven days. :( After I learn PS and LR, I will definitely think about a subscription. I think 2017 is going to be the year to learn new technologies and programs and I'm excited about that.

I wanted to share what I've created so far using the new tools. I'm a rookie, so keep that in mind!

This badge was created using Illustrator. I followed the awesome prompts in the program.
It was fairly easy to create, but took me longer than the time suggested, which was ten minutes!

In the Coursera Graphic Design course, the assignment was to take a normal household object and create images using a variety of techniques (watercolor, paint, stencils, stamps, clay, computer design, etc). After completion, ten of the images were submitted for a peer review. I selected a tea cup and had a lot of fun creating multiple designs.

Zentangle tea cup with Dylusions Ink Sprays
Tea cup created using a letter "t" stamp.


Doodle tea cup using Sharpie markers.
Other designs not pictured, included tea cups created with push pins, marker dotting, ribbon, foil, ink pads, Prisma color pencils, and scribbles. 

I feel like I've already learned a lot in this course. I love that Coursera offers some courses at no charge. It's a great place to learn!


I hope that whatever it is that you want to learn, that instead of just talking about it, you'll dive right in! It's hard at first, but a lot of fun along the way.

*Coursera offers many online courses, some for free and others that are fee based.

No comments:

Post a Comment