When I saw that this month's challenge was titled, "Put a Stencil on It," I was excited! In fact, I was so excited that I got started on this challenge and didn't even take photos of the process along the way. Oops.
This project started with a random piece of wood I had available, 11.5 x 24. First, I layered the entire background with torn pieces of decorative papers adhered with matte gel. Once that layer was dry, I took it outside and lightly sprayed each stencil design onto the wood. I used Rust-oleum Painter's Touch in white, gloss key lime, satin magenta and satin lagoon. The colors are amazing and this spray paint is around $4 a can at Lowe's or Walmart. For the next layer, I used acrylic paints with the stencils to provide additional designs. The background of papers provided texture, but I wanted more, so I used spackling compound over several stencils. The texture is similar to molding paste and it's very inexpensive. The final touches included using Posca and gel pens to bring out more details. I love this piece and am excited to find a place to display it in my home.
Since this year is all about learning new things, I used my Cannon Rebel DSLR (older model) to photograph the artwork. There were some great tips on what settings to use at The University of Boulder, Colorado's Department of Art and Art History web page. While I didn't have a lighting kit, I followed directions for photographing artwork indoors and outdoors. I ended up with several different photos using various settings. While still trying to figure out Light Room, I imported my photo and basically played around with different modes of lighting, balance, hues, etc. I'm still working on learning the program, but am happy with this photograph. I'm looking forward with playing with another piece of finished artwork soon!