Sunday, November 20, 2016

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge: November

I love this month's challenge! It's all about COLOR, specifically the colors below:


As always, I didn't really know where I would go with this challenge, but I finally decided upon an abstract piece of work. 

(xoxoxoxoxox....love these!)

Using a sheet of 140lb (cold press) watercolor paper and a brayer, I created my first layer with a wash of Payne's Gray Golden acrylic.  I was so excited to start this project that I didn't get a photo of this step! While it was drying, I cut out several pieces of paper to use for collage.

Laying out the collage papers...they aren't glued down just yet. 
I rearranged the pieces to determine my favorite layout. Then I used Liquitex Gel Medium to adhere each piece to the background.

After everything was dry, I added color with Neocolor II watercolor crayons, acrylic paints, and Silks acrylic glaze. As you can see, I got quite carried away with color! I started with the original colors from the inspiration board, but then kept adding and changing each layer. It's true, I confess, I am a color addict. 
Are you wondering what happened between the original and the current photo?
Did I mention that I got a little carried away with color?


At first, I was thinking, "DISASTER!" Then I remembered that art is a journey and a learning experience. There are no mistakes, right?! (play, play, play!)  I continued to add and and take away colors.  In the end, when I was happy with where it had gone, I added details with Sharpie and Posca pens. 

The final project will be displayed in a cute case I found at a local store.

I've been using my iPhone to take all the photos I post on the blog, but recently have been thinking about using my Cannon Rebel for higher quality photos. I'm learning some new settings and hope to start using it soon!



A better view of the case...it has a glass cover that folds over the top.
I hope each of you have a blessed week and time each day for something creative in your life.

2 comments:

  1. This is so adorable! Love that you started with the collage pieces! I found you through the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge blog. :) I just came across this challenge the first time. Love your version of the mood board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. :) I appreciate your kind words!

    Don't you just love the challenge? I found it a couple months ago, and like having a month to complete the work for it. I'm about halfway done for the month of January! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete