Sunday, November 24, 2013

Vegan Journey

For the last couple years, since reading Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet book, I've been tossing the idea around about eliminating animal products from my diet. Healthier foods, reducing the impact on the environment, and reading about the treatment of animals (which would soon be on my plate) really weighed heavily on my mind. I wasn't much of a meat eater to begin with and didn't think eliminating meat would be that much of a challenge. It's been four weeks since I ate any type of meat and I don't miss it at all. Cheese. That's going to be the tough one. Eventually, I plan on removing it too.

Over the last month, I've been excited about trying new recipes. While searching for a new veggie burger recipe, I came across Angela's blog, Oh She Glows. Not only did I check out several of her recipes, but I also read her series titled "Vegan How To". This confirmed that not only was this something that I wanted to do, it  was also a goal that I could achieve!

I found amazing recipes and much needed encouragement. Thanks, Angela! So begins my vegan journey. Eating healthier had been a goal mentioned in my In a Slump? post. It's the one that I've been good at keeping this month!

I've tried several new recipes and enjoyed every one of them. Below are a few pics from last week's meals.

Italian Bean Balls that were placed on top of spaghetti squash
and cover with marinara sauce. One of my favorites!

Luxurious 7-Vegetable and "Cheese" Soup...wow. It was amazing! 

Without a doubt, her new book (due out in March of 2014), The Oh She Glows Cookbook, is on my Christmas wish list!

Another great blog I've been reading lately is The No Meat Athlete. I wanted to learn more about how a plant based diet could improve my running performance and in general help me feel more energetic. So, I bought Matt Frazier's book, The No Meat Athlete. Today I made my first recipe from it...Hearty Chickpea and Pasta Soup. It was perfect for a somewhat snowy and extremely chilly day! We liked it so much that we also ate it for dinner!


MMMM....after this meal I had a fantastic 70 minute run!
I'm excited to try some additional new recipes this week! (And also get back on track with my goals for this month...maybe I should have started with just one??)





No comments:

Post a Comment