Friday, November 1, 2013

In a Slump?

Lately I've been in a slump. A big one. Exercise...eating....creating...I just hadn't been feeling like doing anything. It all started with a running injury a few weeks ago, after the Tulsa Zoo Run. I couldn't run, then I became lazy with my eating habits, and eventually quit doing the things I love. I was allowing myself to get into a bummed state of being. It's taken me about a week to work myself back to some "normalcy," if there actually is such a thing!

Last weekend, I had a choice to make....continue in my miserable slump, or kick myself out of it. I needed to get moving in a different direction, so I decided on the later....a good kick in the pants. My husband and some friends were going to Tulsa (yes, again!) to participate in a 15K, the Tulsa Run.  My leg was on the mend, so I decided instead of sleeping in that morning, I would get up and go. The plan was to take it slow and easy, have fun, and finish the run. If I could do that then it was a total success.

Before the run, getting ready to head to the start line.

The weather could not have been more perfect! Not only did I enjoy my run, but it helped me get back on track this week. Feeling great, I have been able to run all week.

The next step....start making some healthy meals. I'd been reading an AMAZING blog, Oh She Glows, the last week or so and drooling over the recipes. Set on making a veggie burger, I tried the recipe HERE. WOW!! It was love at first bite. Definitely one of the best veggie burgers I've ever made! It was even "husband approved." I also made the spaghetti squash recipe HERE. Two great recipes in one week! It made me feel good to be eating better once again. 

YUM!

I'm looking forward to purchasing her book when it comes out next year. Next week I will be trying more recipes from the blog. Possibly the Raw Pecan Pumpkin Butter? Mmmmm. I think YES. I'm already looking forward to it!

Finally, I had been seriously neglecting any creative endeavors. A month or so ago, I had thought about participating in the Colorful Faces Challenge in Cloth, Paper, Scissors Magazine. I decided I had nothing to lose, and started creating a colorful face. I mailed it today! 

Mixed Media paper, Prismacolor pencils and neon Sharpie markers

I am feeling much better having set a few goals and worked towards achieving them. It's easy to get in a slump at times, but by setting goals, I was able to get back on track. To make sure I stay on track, I've set a few more goals. I'm starting with three....I want to be successful, not overwhelmed. My goals for November include:

1. EXERCISE: Resume half marathon training by running 4-5 days a week and staying healthy.
    
2. EATING: Try a new, healthy recipe at least once a week. Add in more fruits and veggies. 

3. CREATIVE LIVING: Blog at least TWICE a week. This has been a huge weakness for me lately. Seems like I'm always being sidetracked, so my goal is to post on Sundays and Wednesdays throughout the month of November. Hopefully this will become a habit! Also, create something every week (painting, art journaling, watercolor...anything!)

I'll keep you posted on how it goes throughout this month!









No comments:

Post a Comment