Sunday, August 18, 2013

TOO MUCH STRESS??


Stress. Ugh. Sometimes we have more of it than we'd like, right? Seems like it's been more lately for me. Just trying to get everything ready for school (which starts next Tuesday...YIKES!), plus trying to finish up all those last minute summer projects at home (painting/reorganizing/flooring), leads to feelings of exhaustion and being overwhelmed.

So...I'm trying to remind myself to weave stress relieving activities into my days this week.  It's tough, especially when you feel there's no time to spare, but I do feel so much happier and less stressed when I can do one of the following activities.

FOCUS ON OTHERS

This can be anything....provide a listening ear, give a hug, bring a co-worker a Sonic drink, bake cookies for your neighbor, etc. Keep it simple and be creative! DIY projects are also an inexpensive and fun way to brighten someone's day.  Using recipes found in Ecobeauty, I've made some great bath and body items.  Not only are they fun to create, I also love making extra and "testing" the product!


DIY peppermint foot scrub, vanilla lip balm, lavender bath salts,  bar of soap from  Farmer's Market

GET MOVING and GET OUTDOORS

Exercise is a great way to relief stress. Think about movement that you enjoy....walking, biking, swimming, RUNNING! I enjoy all of these, but  my favorite is running. For me, it is the ultimate stress reducer. Not only do I enjoy the movement, but I am outside taking in nature (fireflies, trees, beautiful sunsets, flowers...love it!)

Running in Oregon

I love running other places...especially in the summer when Oklahoma is SO hot. Plus, there are so many opportunities to run AND see beautiful scenery. 


Roger running by the ocean near Yachats, OR. Wish we could do this every day!

NOURISH YOUR BODY AND YOUR MIND

Try to make time to relax in your day. To me, relaxation means spending time doing something I love...journaling, creating art, reading a good book, trying a healthy recipe, yoga, or just kicking my feet up and doing absolutely nothing! Whatever you enjoy, doing it even for a short time, can really boost your mood and relieve stress. Sometimes I sneak in reading or journaling at lunch. It's not as long as I would like, but it always makes me feel better.


Journal page I created for Lifebook 2013
Another Lifebook page that I finished today! 
FYI....
Some of my favorite books that always give me a positive insight and uplift my mood are Life is a Verb by Patti Digh, Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, and Yoga for Anxiety by Marie Nurrie Stearns. Another great read, fictional and fun, is Night Circus by Erin Morganstern. If you are interested, you can also check out my Goodreads page for more great titles.

There are many things you can do to relieve stress. The key is to find what works for you and do it! I mean ACTUALLY DO IT! It's too easy for us to become overwhelmed, exhausted, and stressed to the point of not taking care of ourselves. Be mindful to care for yourself and take the time to de-stress a little every day. You will find that you'll be happier AND feel better.






No comments:

Post a Comment