Saturday, April 21, 2012

Remember the Ten


This beautiful sunrise greeted us on our drive to Stillwater, OK this morning. Roger, Jason, and I headed out from the Wal-Mart parking lot at 6:40 a.m. and made our way to Orange Country. It didn't take us long, maybe an hour or so, before we arrived at Boone Pickens Stadium. I snapped a picture of the stadium, and noticed afterwards that David Ball was in it!

We registered for the 5K, visited with friends for awhile, then started our warm up jog. The weather was amazing early on, but became warmer as the sun came up. It wasn't long before I peeled off my arm warmers and gloves! After our warm-up, we headed to the start line, where I got to see Pistol Pete for the first time (in the "flesh").

Pistol Pete shot his gun and the race was ON! Straight ahead...then turn, slow down, bottle neck, and finally a space to move on ahead. 1K...2K...hilly, but I'm feeling good. Around the 3K, I started feeling tired (more hills) and HOT. Roger noticed and poured a cup of water down my back. Thanks, Rog! When I got to the 4K, I reminded myself that I was only 1K away from finishing this run. Since we had jogged this section during our warm-up, I knew we were close. I kept putting one foot in front of the other until...THE FINISH LINE!! My finishing time was 22:08. It wasn't a PR, but I was happy with it, and received first place in my age group. Roger was second in his age group (he mostly ran with me...even though he managed to swish past me near finish line). Jason's new 5K PR was 16:55 and David's new 10K PR was 39:14.Congrats, guys!

Race PROs: great cause, enthusiastic atmosphere, cool awards for age group winners and medals for all finishers
Race CONs: hilly course, narrow lane=bottleneck around first turn

Overall a great event that I would definitely do again!





After the race, we walked over to Eskimo Joe's for lunch. Since there was a TWO-hour wait, we left, walked across the street, and ate a grilled chicken breast sandwich outdoors. This actually turned out to be awesome. On the way home, we even stopped at Braum's for some ice cream. Rocky Road. Delish.

Which, of course, means that I'll be running a few extra miles tomorrow. ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment